Spicy Thai - Thai Cafe

[Media Invite]



When we were living in Geylang East area, we passed by Spicy Thai - Thai Cafe a couple of times after our morning exercise. It didn't quite occur to me it could be a gem serving delicious thai food. Usually we passed by at 10ish, the time when the eatery isn't opened for business yet.


But it did catch by my eye by its sheer size. To be able to sustain such a size in a quiet corner of Aljunied Ave 2, the food has to be very good, this was what I thought.

Little did I expect to be back here for a proper meal, only after I have moved out of Geylang East.

Cha Om (Dill Pattie Omelette) $10

The first dish that was served was Dill Pattie Omelette. I am an egg person, so naturally this is one of my favourites. The herbal taste of Dill Pattie isn't overpowering. A nice blend overall.

Hommok (Thai Style Otak) $18

We talk a lot about low carb these days. If you like otah but shun away from it because of the flour, here's one you can take. This Thai Style Otak is flourless. And because it is flourless, be prepared that it is mushy. It goes well with rice, I must say. Oops, that's carb.

Fish Maw Crab Meat Abalone Soup in Coconut $28

A nice change from all spicy dishes would be this Fish Maw Crab Meat Abalone Soup. It has an unique combination of sweetness from the coconut flesh, saltiness from the seafoods and starchiness of its broth. 

Thai Style Pork Porridge $5 (add egg $1.50)

I order this Thai Style Pork Porridge (with egg, of course) for the little boy who had just recovered from viral flu. I didn't want to load him with spice that might worsen his cough. Surprisingly, the broth was so nice that I couldn't resist drinking it. If you bring children with you, you might want to consider ordering this. The portion is huge. I think 2-3 children could share this.

Lala (Clams) Bee Hoon $18

I try to go low carb whenever possible, but this dish got me to hype up my carb intake. The Lala Bee Hoon is cooked in savoury clam soup and the bee hoon are so soft you almost need not chew them. The generous serving of the clams makes you work harder to dig for the bee hoon. This is no doubt another of my favourites. Carb, what carb. I'll restart the low carb diet tomorrow.

Deep Fried Kang Kong with Special Thai Sauce $10

I have all praises for this dish, because my carnivorous son eats it! "It doesn't taste like vegetables, mummy." Win! Eat more please. The Deep Fried Kang Kong really tasted like chips and I also couldn't stop popping them into my mouth. It comes with a special Thai sauce which you could dip in. But I would say, these fried vegetables taste nice on their own. Another favourite.

Thai Basil Crab (Seasonal Price)

Sick of chilli crab? Time to try this Thai Basil Crab for a change. It tastes pretty close to chilli crab sans the eggs and the flour.


Thai Walking Cat Fish with Spicy Lemon Soup $35

Not many restaurants serve Cat Fish, but Spicy Thai does, and cooked on charcoal no less. The flesh of Cat Fish is firmer than most other popular fishes and the sour yet spicy lemon soup gives the fish an intense flavour. Because the soup gets snapped up fast (it is very appetising), you could ask for additional bowl to top up so that the fish would continue to simmer in the soup with constant charcoal heat.   

BBQ Pork Belly $18

The BBQ Pork Belly are well marinated and grilled to perfect. It has just enough fats to provide the succulent taste. The infused sweetness and slightly charred surface make these finger licking good. 

The gang had a feast in this Isaan-inspired Thai restaurant

We had an enjoyable meal. Considering the price and the portion of the servings, I would strongly recommend this restaurant to thai food lovers. If we are still living around here, there is no doubt that we will patronize this eatery often.

Isaan (North Eastern part of Thailand)

Not in the individual photos, we also had BBQ Chicken Wings (4pcs $7 / 6pcs $10.50), Organic Wheatgrass Drink ($4), Ice Barley ($1.80), Ice Lemongrass Tea ($2), Fresh Coconut ($4.50), Ice Thai Tea ($2.50),Thai Red Ruby and Lemon Grass Jelly. The Spicy Thai - Thai Cafe is pretty accessible by train (East West or Circle Line - Paya Lebar Station) or PIE (exit Paya Lebar). There is ample parking space behind at Aljunied Ave 5 and in front of Geylang East Swimming Pool.


Spicy Thai - Thai Cafe
Blk 115 Aljunied Avenue 2, #01-35
Telephone nos.: 6747 8558
Opening Hours: 11am to 12am daily
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SpicyThaiThaiCafe
Instagram: @SpicyThaiThaiCafe




Comments

  1. Yum yum yum!!! I love Thai food...I am going to visit this place for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The BBQ Pork Belly looks really good. Would love to give this a try if I pass by

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not the biggest fan of Thai food, but this sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Thai style pork porridge seems like a good comfort food! Lala bee hoon is quite unique nowadays, seldom can find a good place that does it properly, but the dish here looks well done! Hope to patronise this cafe some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy photos! All the dishes are looking delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks so yummy!!! I'm so biased as I'm a Thai food lover!!! Hope it tastes as good as it looks...

    Jamie Chaw
    (http://karmie080808.blogspot.sg)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the biggest fan to Thai food! Have not tried cat fish, will have to plan a trip soon. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I LOVE thai food, but I am always eating the same old things - Pineapple Fried Rice, Basil Pork, Tom Yum Soup.. all the dishes you have shared look so different from what I would always expect to eat! Must definitely head down to give it a go. The catfish looks YUMZ!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So shiok! Love Thai food.. I think this is actually near hubby's workplace. Shall ask him to bring us there for dinner haha

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts