Tips On Persevering On A Musical Instrument
It is easy to start a child on a musical instrument but it is difficult to sustain the interest. How can you, as parents, help your child to persevere on? Here are some tips, from my experience:
1) Set aside time practising the instrument daily, be it 30 mins, 45 mins, 1 hour or more. The child needs to cultivate this habit of doing it daily.
2) Sit (or stand around for that matter) with the child as he/she practises. The child needs to know you are serious with him/her picking up this musical instrument.
3) If possible, always have a short talk with the teacher after every lesson. Constant communication with the music teacher will help you keep abreast with your child’s performance.
4) Do music theory exercises with him/her together. In the beginning, the theory is pretty easy, so you should seize the opportunity to learn together with your child so that you can coach him/her along the way.
5) Avoid going for every grading exam if possible. The essential ones are Grade 5, Grade 8, Diploma & above. Having to handle music exam in every level will deprive your child from learning more music pieces as much time has to be spent practising on exam pieces.
Hope the above tips are helpful in helping your child!