The Coins And The Man

I became a Numismatist the very day I was adopted into the family.  Ever since then, this man would randomly gave me coins of memorable value.  No, I was pulling your leg, I didn't get into numismatics.





Frankly, I have little idea why he gave me these.  I do not know why I deserved such treatment, why I was favoured over my sister.  There are many questions I have on why I received 'weird' treatments in the family but I have never asked anyone.  I reckoned that probably because I was adopted.  I was told he even gave me my name.

My father passed away before I got married so I needed to find someone to walk me down the aisle for my wedding.  There was only 1 man who came across my mind, that was him.  So I asked him to marry me off.




He is 73 this year, old enough to be my father, but he is my cousin.  The 30 over years age gap started because my grandfather had a few grandchildren over a long span of time either because some of his children married late or had their children late.  My parents adopted me when they had passed 40. 

He remains as a special cousin to me, always willing to help me out, especially in my previous business as a Remiser.  We hardly meet each other these days, maybe once a year during Chinese New Year, some years we didn't even get to see each other.  Regardless, these coins will be with me because he remains special in my heart.  It is the kind of feeling beyond words can describe.



I also keep these, which was the inheritance from my father















We have become such a throw-away society, but there are some things in our households that we still keep. Why is that so? Perhaps this blog train can unlock the reasons behind it! Follow the daily posts on this blog train and read about the stories behind the things we have kept for many years and why we didn’t throw them away.


Next in the blog train: Mummy PC, an ordinary mother of two girls, who blogs and digi-scrapbooks at Simply Us. While juggling a paid job outside, she manages a 90sqm dwelling and its occupants exhaustedly. Other time, she fights with time and produce what-she-thinks-best outcome, that includes huffing and puffing to catch a bus or a train after work to reach the girls' student care/childcare and receiving their grins. She is one blessed mum! Hop over to her site tomorrow to see her real scrap pieces that she has been keeping them for more than 20 years.


Comments

  1. Wow, that is a special collection of coins! You are so blessed to have such a great cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 人与人之间的缘,有时候就是这么奇妙。

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessed indeed to have such a great cousin ! I have these too ! Wonder if it can still be used =p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, why do you want to use them? If you have no intention to keep them, you should sell them. They are worth more than their physical value.

      Delete
  4. Maybe he is one of the many angels we meet in life. I keep coins too, not so dated ones though. My dad bought those post office issued special occasions coins and gave them to me on my wedding day. I plan to give them to my kids on their wedding days :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learnt a new word - Numistmatist! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Agy, I also learnt the same word! Those coins are so cool, and you're blessed to have such an awesome cousin :)

    Thanks for sharing,
    Mira

    P.S.: I also joined the blog train, and this is my story (published on January 9) - http://www.fafafoom.com/didnt-throw-away-3-things-20-years-later/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mira for visiting. The watch that you kept looks so new, you must have maintained it very well. Oh, the diary, before we have blog, we had diaries! Now we can keep our memories digitally! Good or bad huh?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts